For travellers with time to explore the surrounding regions around Gibraltar, it is possible to inter-rail through France and Spain. Itineraries can be made to suit your time schedule and details of train travel starting in the UK are detailed below.
- Travel from London Waterloo to Paris Gare du Nord station by Eurostar. For further details please visit www.eurostar.com or for telephone bookings please call 08705 186 186.
- Cross Paris by taxi or metro to the Gare d’Austerlitz station. For further information on travelling by metro please visit www.ratp.fr
- Travel overnight from Paris to Madrid Chamartin on the Trainhotel. The Trainhotel is a special articulated sleeping-car train with 4-berth tourist class sleepers, and 1 and 2 berth ‘gran classe’ sleepers with en-suite toilet and shower facilities. For further information please visit www.elipsos.com
- Travel from Madrid to Algeciras on the afternoon Altaria air-conditioned 125mph train. Altaria trains have 1st class (Preferente) and 2nd class (Turista) cabins and offer cafe-bar facilities. For further information please visit www.renfe.es
- When arriving at Algeciras station, cross the forecourt to the bus terminal across the road. Buses leave every half hour to La Linea (the Spanish side of the frontier with Gibraltar), taking about 30 minutes. From here, simply walk across the border into Gibraltar.
Please be advised, in order to be allowed into Gibraltar you will be required to be in possession of a valid passport. If you are unsure as to whether you require a visa to enter Gibraltar please click here.
To book train travel from London to Algeciras please contact:
Rail Europe Travel Centre
178 Piccadilly, London W1 - (nearest tube Piccadilly Circus and Green Park)
Telephone number 0870 5848 848
Web Site www.raileurope.co.uk
Monday to Friday 10.00 – 18.00 & Saturday 10.00 – 17.00
Monday to Friday 08.00 – 21.00, Saturday 09.00 – 18.00 & Sunday 10.00 – 17.00
Spanish Railways UK
Telephone number 020 7224 0345
Monday to Friday 08.00 – 21.00
Web Site www.spanish-rail.co.uk
www.renfe.es/ingles for timetables and fares
Web Site firstname.lastname@example.org
Harbour Station, Porthmadog, Gwynedd, LL49 9NF
Telephone number 01766 512400
Web Site www.festtravel.co.uk
Web Site email@example.com
4 Station Approach,March, Cambridgeshire, PE15 8SJ
Telephone number 01354 660222
Fax number 01354 660444
Web Site www.trainseurope.co.uk
Web Site firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information on rail travel and links visit www.seat61.com and select Gibraltar from the navigation bar.