BEDENHAM WAR MEMORIAL - Queensway Quay
On Friday 27th April 1951, whilst tied up alongside this ordnance wharf near a point now called Bedenham Steps, the naval armament vessel RFA BEDENHAM, loaded with 500 tons of ammunition blew up causing 13 deaths and widespread destruction throughout the city of Gibraltar. In 2001, on the 50th anniversary of the explosion, a plaque was placed here by the Gibraltar Heritage Trust in memory of all who perished.
WAR MEMORIAL - Line Wall Road
This memorial was erected by the people of Gibraltar to commemorate The Great War. Unveiled by the then Governor Sir Charles Monro on the 27th September 1923 and is the work (on Carrara marble) of Jose Piquet Catoli of Barcelona. There are two Russian guns close by which were brought to Gibraltar in 1858 captured during the Crimean War. Four of those guns were presented to the City of Gibraltar for the valuable help given to Britain and her armed forces during the war. The other two guns are situated at the main entrance to the Alameda Gardens.
ENGINEERS MONUMENT - Main Street
Presented to the people of Gibraltar by the Corps of Royal Engineers to commemorate the continuous service given by the Corps on the Rock of Gibraltar from 1704, and the formation here in 1772 of the first Body of Soldiers of the Corps, then known as the Company of Royal Artificers 26th March 1994.
DEFENCE FORCE STATUE - Casemates Square
This statue is of a Gibraltar Defence Force soldier in summer battle dress. His guard duty posture is symbolic of the role undertaken in defence of the Rock during WWII. The monument is dedicated to all Gibraltarians who served in the Gibraltar Volunteer Corps, the Gibraltar Defence Force and the Royal Gibraltar Regiment.
EVACUATION MEMORIAL - Waterport Wharf Road
Following the outbreak of the Second World War in September 1939, the British Government decided that the bulk of the civilian population is removed from Gibraltar as soon as possible. This statue was erected in honour of the Gibraltarians evacuated during WWII and sent to Morocco, Madeira, Jamaica, Northern Ireland and England. British troops occupied their homes locally. The Gibraltarians who had the misfortune of being sent to London suffered at the hand German bombings. A couple of thousand men who held jobs considered essential for the war effort were not allowed to leave Gibraltar. The very accurate memorial, the work of Jill Cowie Saunders, shows families re-united after the war. Those who lived this experience find this monument very moving.
OF SACRIFICE - Winston Churchill Avenue
The Gibraltar Cross of Sacrifice is a war
memorial designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield in 1917, and his
monument is found in numerous Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemeteries.
The cross in Gibraltar was erected by the Royal
Engineers for the commission, and unveiled on Armistice
Day 1922. The cross is a memorial raised in grateful and undying
remembrance of sacrifice made by the sailors, soldiers and airmen from all
parts of commonwealth who died during the two World Wars.
The officers and men whose names are honoured on the panels nearby were buried at sea. With their comrades who lie buried in the North Front cemetery and in the Jewish cemetery they gave their lives in Gibraltar whilst serving the Country.
General Wladyslaw Sikorski, the first Prime Minister and the first Commander in Chief of the Polish army in exile in 1939-1943, was at the time a symbol of the Polish resistance and Polish incessant fight, continuing despite the loss of own territory. He was a symbol of Polish hopes for victory and regaining independence. This war time hero lost his life in tragic air crash in 1943 as his plane took off from Gibraltar during WWII.
SCOTTISH REGIMENT - Sir Herbert Miles Road
This cairn is erected as a memorial to the 4th Btn. The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) and their unrelenting work on the defences of the north and east sides of the Rock from July 1940 to April 1943 when the Battalion formed part of the garrison.
ROYAL MARINES MONUMENT - Ocean Village
This monument marks the enduring link between Gibraltar and the Royal Marines and was dedicated in 2009 by the Commandant General Royal Marines. On 21st July 1704, the Prince of Hesse Darmstadt led some British and Dutch marines ashore near here to serve the isthmus and lay siege to the Garrison of Gibraltar following a naval assault on the New Mole, the Garrison surrendered on 26th July. Following the capture, the marines formed the largest contingent on the Rock and bore the brunt of the fighting with Spanish and French troops. Because British marines (awarded the title Royal in 1802) subsequently fought in so many actions around the globe, in 1827 King George IV decided that their colours would in future bear the symbol of “the great globe itself” and that henceforth the only battle honour on Royal Marines’ colours would be that of Gibraltar!
Operation Torch: In memory of the British and American military who risked their lives in the liberation of North Africa in World War II. The lessons learned and relationships forged between these forces during this campaign ultimately led to the liberation of Europe.
First US Naval Mediterranean Squadron: Dispatched by President Thomas Jefferson to protect American interests in the Mediterranean. The squadron’s first port of call was Gibraltar 1 July 1801, and the first documented gun salute fired by the US Navy in the Mediterranean was to Lt Gen O’Hara, Governor of Gibraltar.
USS Chauncey: Sacred to the memory of the officers and men of the USS Chauncey who, during the World War lost their lives on 19 November 1917, while engaged on patrol duty off the Strait of Gibraltar.
US Coast Guard Tampa and US Coast Guard Seneca: Sacred to the memory of the one hundred and fifteen officers and men of the US Coast Guard Cutter Tampa sunk by enemy submarine in the Bristol Channel on the 26 September 1918 when all on board were lost. And to the memory of the eleven officers and men of the US Coast Guard Seneca lost in bravely endeavouring as volunteers to salvage the torpedoed British Steamer Wellington in the Bay of Biscay on the 17 September 1918.